9.16.2010

Compassion

{my mom and dad--park city july 2010}

I decided that somebody thinks that I am lacking compassion. In my church we have this organization called Relief Society.

 I am the youngest of 5 kids in my family. When I was a toddler, my mom was the Relief Society president in our ward. That year (when I was 4) when my mom was the president, our ward had something like 13 funerals. Back then the Relief Society did everything for funerals, they still do a lot, like feed the families of the deceased after the funeral. So basically I remember being "velcro" to my mom. Everywhere she went I went. On one particular occasion I was dragged once again to another funeral with my mom. I remember sitting there for hours, very still, playing with a string of beads. (I was a pretty well-behaved toddler:0). Anyway I remember as it was clean up in the kitchen I turned to my mother and told her boldly that "I hated Relief Society and that I will never go".  :0) awesome huh??

Just recently I was called to be 1st Counselor in Relief Society. "Seriously". The first thing that came to my mind was that humorous story of me as a toddler. He was ready for me to be compassionate like my mother and to learn to "Love" Relief Society after all these years:0)

I have been thinking a lot about my mom and her example and Service. She is a good person. She is an example to me of following the gospel of Jesus Christ. I guess it's time for me to learn things that already came naturally to my mother.


2 comments:

Robin said...

Thats so funny. I was thinking today I wonder if Van did her relay and how she's doing. Well congrats on the calling, you will be a busy girl! And no worries about not doing the relay, you need to follow your gut:) Miss you guys!

Robin said...

ps Your mom is awesome. I dont know her well, but I always had a good feeling around your mum and dad:)